About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Alice and I am a self-confessed bake-a-holic. My dream is to one day own a tea room full of gorgeous things, with books everywhere, vintage crockery, and of course plenty of home made cake! On this blog I plan to share all my trials and triumphs from the kitchen, as well as some of my favourite recipes and inspiration that I gather along the way.

Sunday 19 June 2011

More Birthday Cupcakes!

With less than 2 weeks to go until my sister's 21st (exciting!!!!), I've been having a go at some more practice cupcakes for her party (see here for the chocolate cupcakes I tried a while back).

As well as the scrummy chocolate ones (I've bought some edible glitter to decorate those next time, so some glittery and some with the stars), my sister wanted some cupcakes with her favourite childhood sweets on top. After some deliberation, she decided on flying saucers, chocolate mice and jelly beans on top of standard vanilla cakes with buttercream.

To make them, I used the basic cupcake recipe here before swirling with buttercream and sweets. And here are the results...



Not the neatest icing in the world (I was in a hurry and Florence was pestering me for one to eat) but you get the idea :)

Having made them, we're contemplating replacing the white mice (look a bit anaemic!) and possibly choosing another type of sweet to add variety. She doesn't know what to choose, anybody got any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. If you colour the icing/buttercream (e.g. light pink) it will make the chocolate mice stand out. Love hearts look good too or what about cola bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also say change the colour of the icing and keep the White mice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding a touch of pink to the buttercream would look gorgeous with the white mice :)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had a thought..what about adding those white choc hundred and thousand discs to some pink buttercream??

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete